Looking for Career Information?
The Floyd region has a wide variety of career resources, opportunities and pathways to get the job you want. there.
Career Pathways and Financial Assistance
How do I get there?
We have plenty of educational and training opportunities, with 12 colleges and universities within 30 minutes of Floyd County. Each provides info on the technical, trade and degree programs.
- Virginia Tech
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
- Radford University
- Radford University Carilion
- New River Community College
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Fralin Biomedical Research Institute
- Roanoke College
- Virginia Western Community College
- Patrick Henry Community College
- Ferrum College
- Accessing Community College Education (ACCE) is a program for new high school graduates in Floyd County. Graduates with at least a 2.5 GPA can qualify for free tuition to attend New River Community College (NRCC) for up to 2 years through a joint program with the NRCC Foundation, Floyd County and the Virginia Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission.
- Talent Attraction Program: Student Loan Repayment is a program to encourage recent graduates to live in Floyd and other Tobacco Region localities and work in targeted, hard-to-fill occupations here by providing up to $12,000 annually in student loan repayment with a two-year commitment. Loan repayment awards may be renewed for another two years if eligible (maximum award of $48,000).
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a service by the US Department of Education that connects students to over $120 billion per year in financial aid to help pay for college or career school.
Engaging with Employers
- NRV Experience, a program of Onward NRV, is a series of community engagement, professional development, and networking opportunities for college student summer interns in Virginia’s New River Valley.
- Developing a Destination for Talent is a program at Virginia Tech that connects VT student interns to businesses in the New River Valley.
- If you are not currently a student, please contact your employer of interest directly to inquire about internship opportunities or job shadowing.
- Virginia Career Works New River-Mount Roger Workforce Career Fairs are regional career fairs that may be business- or sector-specific. There is also a regional fair called Career Quest, just for 7th graders.
- Floyd County High School Career Fair is an annual event that lets students see a sampling of local jobs and learn what it would be like to do them.
Please reach out to us to get a hard copy if preferred.
See the industries that make up the Floyd economic climate. Floyd’s innovative culture has made it home to a wide variety of businesses, from individual artists and artisans to design firms, high craftsmanship businesses, and advanced manufacturing.
Floyd County Business Toolkit
includes a business start-up checklist, clickable links to many resources, business plan template, Floyd and regional contacts for business support, plus business regulatory guidance, and funding/financing resources.